Your kitchen is the place that is most used in the house. It is the place where you spend most of the time every day. Whether it's about deciding the day's menu or cooking or storing your food, a lot of time is spent there. This is why it is important to pay the utmost attention to keeping your kitchen tidy and your food safe with effective storage.
Here's how to organize and store food in your kitchen:
- Store non-perishable items inside your cupboards. These are items that don't spoil easily, such as canned foods, cereals, pasta in cartons, foods packaged and sealed in glass jars (tomato sauce, pickles, vinegar), cake mixes, salt, sugar, flour, UHT milk, unopened sweetened condensed milk, spices and syrup.
- Food items in dry storage should be kept in airtight containers or glass jars to prevent insect infestation, such as rice, beans, flour, etc. Always store your dry foods in a dark place and moderately cool place.
- Foods like milk, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, meats, and vegetables should be refrigerated immediately because they are perishable and prone to spoilage. You should also make sure to store raw and cooked foods separately in the refrigerator.
- Flour: Store it in an airtight container on your kitchen shelf or cupboard. In hot and humid weather, it is recommended to buy flour in small amounts and keep it refrigerated. For whole-wheat flour, it should be kept in the refrigerator all year round in order to avoid off-flavours.
- Sugar: Should be stored at room temperature. To keep it dry, put it in a well-sealed plastic bag or in a jar with a tight lid.
- Bread: To keep bread fresh, store it at room temperature in a cool, dry place. However, if it is hot and humid, then store bread in the fridge to delay the growth of molds.
- Vegetables: You can store most of the vegetables in the drawer of your fridge with the exception of:-
- Dry onions, potatoes and garlic which should be stored in a cool dark place. Buy them in small amounts because they may sprout in your kitchen.
- Tomatoes, bananas, avocados and cantaloupe can be stored at room temperature. Refrigerate when the desired ripeness is achieved.
- Apples can be stored in a cool place, but if the weather is hot and humid, it's best to refrigerate.