Be Kitchen Smart
10 Tips to Save Time in kitchen
If you have been trying to balance your work life with your personal lifeand have been fighting a battle to avoidordering a meal from outside and cooking one yourself, then having a little battle plan and some front-line assistance will help you in becoming Kitchen Smart. Spending a little time in getting organized might add efficiency in your cooking plan thereby making cooking a more pleasurable experience. If you are looking to do so, here are a few tips to get you started.
- Panning ahead.Gone are the days when one used to decide what to cook for dinner the same day. Be smart and plan the menu for a week ahead. This will not only save time, but will save trips to the grocery store as well. This will also help you in knowing how much time you will need to prepare the meal and you can take time out to planyour schedule accordingly.
- Be prepared.You can save on a lot of time if you prepare the ingredients first and finish off the prepping before starting the cooking as you won’t have to go back and forth from cooking to prepping. In fact you can make onion, ginger, garlic pastes ahead of time and store in your fridge.
- Get organized. Nothing saves time than having your set of tools within your reach. The key is to place everything in the order you need them, so that you move to that corner of your kitchen to find your cooking gadget, intuitively. You can also plot out a storage plan for your kitchen, like you can keep all the frequently used items, e.g. spices, near the stove.
- Use your refrigerator.. Fill your fridge with seasonalvegetables, herbs and fruits, some already prepared side dishes and a healthy frozen meal for the days which don’t go like planned.
- Ready Masala’s and pastes: If your family is fond of certain gravies or curries, you can make the base masalas ahead of time and store in the fridge. Like onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and garam masala is an ideal masala base for a lot of curries. You can chop, slice or grind them and freeze them in labelled freezer bags.
- Keep a Garbage Bin Handy.Always keep a garbage binnear your prep station so that you don’t have to go back and forth to the garbage bin.
- Use Sharp Knives.Make sure that you usegood quality knives and keep them sharp. This will speed up cutting of vegetables and herbs.
- Frozen is fine. Though you must always prefer fresh vegetables, but keeping a few frozen ones handy will surely save some time. Peas, carrots and even cauliflower freeze very well.
- Cook once, eat twice.Some meals are always make you go slurp as soon as you see or hear about them and that is why you surely can cook a little more of the tasty dish as it makes an easy meal for the next day.
- Instant Snacks.Keep a few instant mixes in your refrigerator which can be used to satiatehunger instantly and save a lot of time as well. You can try Vegit instant snack mixes and add your own twist to them if you like. These are instant, full of nutrition, easy to use and great time savers.